THE NON BLOOMER PROFILE

My photo
Alabama boy living in Tennessee. Previous college professor and distribution executive

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

French Lick Obama

Well, I guess it was bound to happen at some point, a country boy from North Alabama being beaten down by a city boy from Illinois because of an inability to speak French while visiting France. Only in America, right?
I can tell you right now I take offense to that. First of all, how could he assume that I have been to France? Closest I've ever been to France is French Lick, Indiana and only then because I was lost. But then again, I did see the French Connection and I also had a chicken cordon bleu at Arby's last week with French fries and French's mustard. On top of that, I was wearing my French Shriners that same day. And oh by the way, I have been to Paris, Tn. If any of that counts than I guess maybe I would qualify as a visitor to France and I sincerely apologize to Mr. Obama for not speaking the language.
Secondly, when it comes to a second language, studies show that many folks have the God given ability to learn a second language but many don't. In fact, I'm still trying to figure out why they put me in English class...I still struggling with that one. The only other language I took in school was Latin and I only did that because the guidance counselor told me it would help me with my English. Well, it may have helped me with my English but last year on a trip to Latin American people looked at me like a fool when I started speaking that stuff....go figure. Maybe it was my accent. So you see, even if you speak the language they often don't appreciate it. While you're talking education reform in America, you might want to get those Latins to take a course in manners.
Finally, I was really surprised that he actually used France as an example. I guess it would be pretty common for most people to think that French is the official language of France. Wrong again Missuer Obama!! An ole war buddy of mine recently went to France to celebrate the wonderful liberation of the French from the Nazis in World War II (the French had a close call there - they came close to being German speaking Frenchmen). When his plane landed and he hit the sidewalk, he thought he was in Iran because of all the Muslems in headwraps and all the Arabic being spoken. He just turned around and went back to the counter and demanded a refund because he thought he had gotten on the wrong plane. So Barrack, should you get to France anytime soon, don't be surprise if they are not speaking French or English, if you know what I mean?

Praise Allah.....or better yet Praise y'all and God .......and don't forget to pass the bisquits!!!!

No comments: